Job SeekersOrganize People!
Summary:Make the Road PA (MRPA) seeks a motivated and talented Organizing Director.
Location: This person can be based in Philadelphia, Allentown, or Reading, PA, but will need to travel to all three organizing centers on a regular basis.
Make the Road PA was launched in 2014 and, over the last few years, has quickly become one of the largest Latinx organizations in the state of Pennsylvania. MRPA now runs three robust organizing centers, in Reading, Allentown, and Philadelphia. We have a strong, engaged membership base of poor and working-class people, primarily in Latinx communities. We have a strong track record of local and state campaigns, large-scale mobilizations on federal issues, large-scale civic engagement work, and active leadership among key progressive organizing groups, coalitions, and tables across the state. MRPA is hosted by the Center for Popular Democracy (CPD).
Job Description:The Organizing Director will oversee the organizing work for MRPA, including membership recruitment, base-building, leadership development, and campaigns. The Organizing Director will supervise the lead organizers from each organizing center and report directly to the Director.
Responsibilities:The Organizing Director’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Directly supervise the lead organizers of each organizing center and indirectly supervise the whole organizing team (the lead organizers each supervise other organizers;
- Oversee a strong base-building program including ongoing outreach, recruitment, and retention of dues-paying members who share Make the Road’s mission and vision; weekly membership meetings; and leadership development through workshops, individual meetings, and sustained engagement;
- Train and support organizers and lead organizers;
- Coordinate local and state issue-based campaigns on economic justice, immigrant rights, criminal justice reform, education, and/or LGBTQ justice;
- Coordinate organization-wide events and mobilizations on issues impacting MRPA’s membership;
- Develop and implement a popular education and leadership development curriculum;
- Support MRPA’s civic engagement work;
- Represent the organization at some external meetings and coalition tables;
- Engage a variety of stakeholders, including member leaders, allies, community leaders, elected officials, and funders.
Requirements:We believe the Organizing Director must have the following qualities to be successful:
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and social justice, and an understanding of the challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-income families;
- Demonstrated commitment to community organizing, leadership development, and the elevation of directly impacted and marginalized people to create change;
- At least three years of experience in community, labor, or other relevant organizing;
- At least three years of management experience – supervising individuals and/or teams;
- Experience leading and winning issue campaigns or other related campaign experience;
- Ability to move people to action;
- Strong commitment to developing other people’s leadership;
- Ability to take initiative and to effectively manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment at a growing organization;
- Bilingual Spanish and English is required;
- A car and driver’s license is required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive annual salary, depending on relevant experience, education, and other factors
- Generous benefits package, including health insurance and 401K
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter summarizing your interest and qualifications for the position to Maegan.llerena@maketheroadpa.